Recovering From Surgery

When I was growing up, I said a prayer every night before I went to sleep.  Every single night, I prayed that I would be able to see without glasses or contacts when I woke up.  Every morning, when I opened my eyes, I was disappointed to see that I could still not focus on anything.  Then, I would put on my glasses and go about my day. This morning, when I opened my eyes, I could see – clearly and in focus – through my right eye.  It seems like a miracle to me.

My cataract surgery went very well yesterday.  I was scheduled early in the day, so I had to be at the surgery center at 7:45am.  Questions, paperwork, testing, an IV port inserted and then off to the operating room.  I was really nervous but “twilight sleep” overtook me as soon as the medicine was injected into my IV.  The surgery took a little longer than usual, so they had to give me a little more anesthesia partway through.  I had a hard time waking up, but I could tell a difference in my vision as soon as I first opened my eyes.  John says that the doctor stopped in to see me in recovery and I asked him when I can have my other eye done.  I don’t remember this, but I find it kind of funny.

I went home and slept and slept, trying to break free from the anesthesia.  I am lucky that my surgery was in the morning, so that I had all day to sleep it off.  Then, when I woke up this morning, I could really, really see out of my right eye.

There are a few problems.  My eyes are not focusing together properly.  I am told that this is normal and that I will relearn this skill.  Also, for most of my life I have had to bring something close to my eyes in order to bring it into focus.  With the new lens, this does not work.  My center of focus is farther away and bringing things close doesn’t make anything clearer.  After the swelling is gone, the eye doctor will check my vision and see whether I need a contact or just reading glasses. In the meantime, I will have to limit my reading and computer time because these activities take a lot of effort.

This morning, I went back to the eye doctor’s office and he tested my vision in my right eye.  It was better than he expected – 20/40 with the pinhole cover on my eye.  The eye doctor was very pleased.  He gave me a few instructions, we set up an appointment for next week, and I went back to work.  Things started out well at work.  I got through my emails and my phone messages and took care of some action items.  A few people came to see me, to tell me that they missed me.  Around noon, I just crashed.  I was so tired and nauseous and my eyes were watering and I was having a hard time focusing.  I tried staying away from my computer, but I could tell that I needed to rest my eyes.  Luckily, John was able to come and get me and take me home.  I slept the rest of the afternoon.  Tomorrow, I will try again and hopefully I will make it through an entire day.

The most amazing thing to me is to look around and think about the fact that I do not have a contact in my right eye.  I can hardly believe that I can now see better without a contact than I could see before with a contact.  It is really a miracle.


16 thoughts on “Recovering From Surgery

  1. Terrific news!! Just in time to enjoy spring flowers and Easter! When your eyes are tired, close your eyes and listen to the birds sing. They are sooo busy around our house.

  2. So happy for you! take time with the recovery, your body is telling you it needs time to adjust. Hope things continue to progress nicely for you, you deserve it! take care, Sarah

  3. I took off a week to recover. Not that I needed to, but it was ?me? time that I would not have enjoyed otherwise. Don’t rush back to work so fast! They can manage without you for a few days. Go out and look at some daffodils instead of your computer!

  4. ‘So very glad to hear the surgery has been successful. I echo the sentiments above. Listen to your body and don’t push yourself. Taking little breaks should do wonders for you and your eyes. 🙂

  5. You need to have a LOT of patience with the healing process. Do NOT be in a hurry to work for the whole day. Listen to what your body needs and wants and go along with it. Your eye is going to need some rest, so don’t hesitate to simply sit down and keep them closed for 5 or 10 minutes. The rest will help you thought your day. If you have a chance, lay down and take a nap, even if you just lay and listen to the radio for a half hour or so. Your eyes will thank you for the rest.

    • I know, I know. I am glad that I left early yesterday. I was able to make it through the whole day today, although I took a lot of time off from looking at the computer throughout the day. I just kept resting my eyes, as you suggested. Thank you.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s