I recently read a blog entry (http://asliceofmylife.com/) by Susie, who had the idea of making a list of things to do before her next birthday. She put one item on the list for each year of her life. Since my next birthday is a big one, and is not until February, 2011, I thought that I would make a list of items that I can work on over the next few months. Maybe, that way, the big 5 – 0 will not be so traumatic. This will also give me a chance to think about things I want to do and see before my vision deteriorates too much more. So, here goes:
1. Visit the Thousand Islands.
2. Go through my craft materials and donate the things I will never use. ✔
3. Tour a public garden. ✔ Read about my visit to Niagara Falls Botanical Gardens in Going To Niagara Falls
5. Ride in a convertible. ✔ Oh Yeah! Wish Come True
6. Improve my photography / editing skills. ✔ Working on this through my photoblog – PhotoInsights (please look through and “Like” your favorites)
7. Pet a lamb. ✔ Little Lambs Eat Ivy
8. Bake something extravagant. ✔ Chocolate Eclair Cake
9. Pick strawberries and/or blueberries. ✔ Blueberries! The Taste of Joy
10. Plant a patch of daffodils or tulips somewhere unexpected. ✔
11. Rent a limo and take a winery tour with friends.
12. Paint the living room.
13. Choose an audio book and listen to it. ✔ Roses by Leila Meacham (plus, I learned how to download audio books from the library)
14. Have lunch with an old friend.
16. Sort projects into two piles – “worth finishing” and “hopeless”.
17. Throw away the “hopeless” pile.
19. Go to a casino. ✔ Going To Niagara Falls
20. See a play. ✔ Five Course Love at Geva
21. Organize our CDs. ✔
22. Visit Niagara Falls. ✔ Going To Niagara Falls
23. Sell something on etsy. ✔
24. Watch an old movie. . ✔ Special Events – How To Marry A Millionaire
25. Tour Mt. Hope Cemetery. ✔ Wonderful tour! I highly recommend it.
Oh, my goodness. Fifty things make a long list. This is not intended to be my “bucket list,” just some fun things I can do before my birthday. I have already borrowed some of Susie’s ideas. Hmmm… maybe if I look around online…
26. Learn a new skill. ✔
28. Donate blood.
29. Ride a horse. ✔Visiting Family ♥
30. Make a (small) nice herb garden. ✔ Teeny Tiny Herb Garden
31. Go to a baseball game. ✔Rochester Redwings v. Syracuse Baseball Game
32. Take a self portrait that I like. ✔ Self-Portrait
33. Write a fan letter to someone famous.
34. Stand under a waterfall.
35. Plan one “special time” with each of my children. ✔Emily
37. Spend time star gazing. ✔ The stars are gorgeous at Camp Koinonia.
38. Write an article and submit it to a publication. ✔ Published in the December issue of Rochester Woman magazine.
39. Clean closets and donate to Goodwill. ✔
40. Go canoeing.
41. Spend time birdwatching.
42. Clean the basement.
43. Have a picnic.
44. Visit the zoo. ✔
45. Tour a brewery. . ✔ Special Events
47. Make jelly or jam. ✔
48. Go on a hike in the woods.✔ Ellison Park
49. Take a yoga class. ✔
50. “Waste” a day. ✔ It’s not exactly what I had in mind, but I’ve wasted about two weeks worth of days since my surgery.
Whew! I am going to start checking things off, so wish me luck! Feel free to leave comments (ideas for your own list, maybe?) and encouragement. I hope that my list inspires you as much as Susie’s list did me.